The oldest known written references on the Islamic city of Antequera date back to the first half of the 9th Century and are contained in a poem by Samuel Ibn al-Nagralla, a Jewish vizier of king Badis of Granada. The city that emerged around the ancient Roman settlement became a walled enclosure of 62,000 square metres.
The Alcazaba has been declared a National Monument, under the protection of the generic Declaration of the Decree of 22 April 1949, and Law 16/1985 on Spanish National Heritage. It is located on a small hillock in the city.
Its history dates back to Roman times, but it became important during the Arab occupation.
In 1410, it was reconquered by the Infante Don Fernando, who thereafter became known as “the one from Antequera”. On several occasions the Parliament of Aragon was held in its rooms, presided over by King Alfonso V around the year 1429.
Within the walled structure of the Islamic medina were two separate enclosures: the Alcazaba, which occupied all the top of the hill, and a second ring which, descending from the Puerta de la Villa, continued down towards the Postigo del Agua and Puerta de Málaga, to then join up with the Torre Blanca. The most important tower of the whole enclosure is that of the Homenaje. It is angular in shape and is accessed through a door decorated on either side with two smooth columns and one lintel. Among the rooms inside, there are several of rectangular shape covered with boat-shaped vaults. A belfry was built on the top of this tower in 1582 to house the largest bell in the city. Joined by a section of wall to this tower is the tower known as the Torre Blanca, with its perfectly crafted masonry.